August 15, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House



I decided that my children needed to go to a temple open house in order to have a better appreciation for the temple and what important covenants are made inside the temple.

The Oquirrh Mountain Temple had an open house this summer and I thought it was a good time to go an visit it.

We tried to prepared the boys for the experience, so the kids were excited to go and see the temple. When we got to the temple, there was a long line and it was hot. The kids got really impatient but they did hang in there.

We finally got to enter the temple. It was a beautiful temple which was so peaceful and calm inside. The boys were good for the first part and I think they were somewhat impressed with the beauty of the temple. Unfortunately, they got really loud after about 15 minutes. People in back of us in line were kind and gave them some Life Savers to make them happy. After they chomped through those candies, they started to get loud again.

My kids are not quiet kids, but having them act out in the temple is not a good situation and quite embarrassing. After we couldn't stand the embarrassment anymore, we left early without going through the entire tour.

Do I think my kids got a lot out of the trip to the temple? I have no idea, but I tried. The one thing I do know is when they hear the name Oquirrh Mountain Temple, they do remember that we went inside. I guess parenting is all about providing spiritual opportunities and then have faith that the spirit will touch their hearts.

Here are some pictures of the boys waiting in line to enter the temple...








I do feel fortunate that we live in an area where their are temples all around us, and that we have an opportunity to attend an open house. Even though this experience wasn't everything that I hoped it would be, but I hope we planted a seed in my boys about the importance of temples.

No comments: