July 24, 2008

Swimming Like A Fish

We have just finished our first round of swim lessons for Lucas and Dylan. They were so excited to go to swim lessons. It is all they talked about for weeks. Every day they would count down how many days it was until their next swim class. We had them attend every Monday and Wednesday for about a month. They both did pretty well. Although, Dylan had a emotional break down 2 weeks ago. He teacher was out of town for a week and had some other instructors come and substitute for her. Dylan did alright with the first substitute but he had Dylan float on his back and he let go of him and I think Dylan freaked out because of this.

The reason why Dylan freaked out is because we have had 2 instances when Dylan was 3 when we went to the Clearfield Aquatic Center and he thought he could walk on water and step right into the pool. Obviously, not being able to swim he went right under. The first time I had to jump in and save him. The second incident happened a couple of months later when I was taking the 2 boys swimming and we were going down the big water slide. I could only take one boy at a time. I told Dylan to sit and wait for me while I take Luke down the slide. Being the great listener he is, he walked right over to the pool and jumped in. This time I didn't jump in because I wasn't near him. The lifeguard had to jump in. This caused a whole big situation. I had to go and talk with the head life guard and he had to create an incident report. I got reprimanded from him. He told me that I need to watch my kid a little better. I felt like Mother of the Year that Day.

The one good and bad thing that occurred from these 2 incidents is that Dylan doesn't jump into the pool anymore but now he is freaked out about going in the pool and swimming. He is alright in the water when the water is around his knees but anything deeper he clings on to you like a leech. So, when the substitute instructor let go of him when he was floating on his back, it must of caused some flash backs of his water episodes. The next swim class he wouldn't get near the pool. He was screaming and crying and wouldn't do his swim lesson. The follow week, he still wouldn't go to his class. Finally after a lot of positive affirmations and some bribery he made his last class and did well.

On the other hand, Luke loves the water and enjoyed every minute. He did well in his class. He learned the basic strokes and did well. Even though he gets really nervous when you put him on his back. With practice I know he will get better. We will sign them up for their next class in another month or two.

Here are some pictures and videos of them....









4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I loved seeing the video footage of these two. You are becoming quite the documentaries person. We went to the Aquatic Center today which I have never been and it was so awesome. I wish they had things like that when we were kids. Our kids have all the fun. I am proud of those two boys of yours.

Dawn said...

Great videos, kiddo! You are quite the little computer geekette, aren't you? YOU should be the online teacher, not me! Love ya, Sister V.

Brittanny said...

I hear ya with the swim lessons...we are up for another round of two weeks in the middle of August. I work too much this week and next so we took it off. ANd then after that...school starts! I can't hardly believe it! Hey....and maybe with a month's practice Luke will sing in church...
ps I love your pics of the boys

Lindsay said...

How fun!!! I love the video of them, especially dylan and his powerful backstroke. hahaha
Your boys do EVERYTHING!