March 21, 2009

Dylan's 5th Birthday !!!





Dylan turned 5! He has been waiting for this day for about 364 days. Getting a year older
has been so important to him. He has been so excited to turn 5.

It was also the year that he was going to have his first friend birthday party. He has also been talking about his birthday party with his friends for almost a year. So, I knew that I needed to make this birthday special. I wanted to do a party that was fun but simple. So, I came across a franchise that does science birthday parties. The business is called Mad Science. They come to your home and they do an hour science show. They perform cool experiments with the kids and then explain how the experiment happens. I thought this was a cool idea as well as an educational one.
The birthday party lasted about 2 hours. The kids arrived at 10:30 and played outside for about a half an hour. Then Shockwave Sherry came to the party and did her thing.
Some of the experiments she performed were:
Indoor fireworks
A real light saber display
A light show with cool science glasses
Melting a Styrofoam face
Make some substance glow (aren't I a science genius, NOT)
Make glow in the dark slime
Here are some pictures of the Dylan melting a Styrofoam face .....





We had a total of about 14 kids come to the party. Here is a picture of the gang...
After the science show, the kids had cake and pizza and played some more outside. Then one of the highlights for Dylan was opening up birthday presents. He got a ton of great gifts. Here he is opening some presents.
After 2 hours of fun, the party came to an end. Dylan had a blast and I hope he can remember this 5th birthday party for years to come.
After the birthday party we decided to go to the park and fly kites. The wind was blowing but the sun was shining, so it was a perfect day to fly a kite. The boys got some kites from their Leprechaun O'Malley which came on St. Patrick's Day. So we took Uncle Tyler and went to go fly some kites.
We had such a good time. I can only remember a couple of times in my life where I flew a kite. I probably enjoyed myself more than the boys did. I think it is the coolest thing to take a little kite and see it get so high in the air and then stay in the air and move around from the wind. I loved it and so did the boys.
Here are the pictures of the kite flying...
We had 3 kites. One of the kites string broke and it flew away and landed on the roof of Bluff Ridge Elementary. The other two kites had some great flight time. The boys flew kites for about an hour.
They got tired of looking up in the sky toward the sun without glasses so they borrowed ours.
We had a few incidents where Lucas' kite needed to be repaired. Thank goodness we have some
talented hands to fix the kites and get them up in the air again. Jordan was very proud of his handy work.
Even Mason thought it was cool to fly kites. Mason received an Elmo kite which Dylan flew for an hour. Mason kept pointing in the sky and repeated "Elmo".
Mason gives kite flying a "Thumbs up"
It was such a beautiful day and I thought I was lay down and watch the kites fly in the gorgeous blue sky. Dylan decided to join me while flying his kite.
After kite flying we played a game of "Pig" on the blacktop. Dylan got stuck on the bed of the truck while trying to get a basketball out of the truck. He hung there for several minutes. His feet kept kicking and swinging but he couldn't get down and he was to scared to jump. I thought it was pretty funny. I was going to keep him there for a few more minutes but since it was his birthday, I saved him.
After kite flying we came home and played with his new toys. We then had dinner and then Dylan opened up our presents to him. He is one spoiled kid but I love him. I am so proud to have him as my son. It has been a wonderful 5 years and I look forward in spending at least 50 more with him.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Love the Hat!!! Happy Birthday Dylan!

Trent said...

What a birthday. I cant imagine he would ever forget such a fun day!

Rachel

Stephanie said...

we need to get together we have a gift for Dillon--so sorry we missed the party the sealing time was changed from 2 pm to 9 am!!!! But really let's get together soon!!! xoxo

Connie said...

Happy Birthday! I didn't realize Dylan was the same age as Andrew - we had a party the same day and we should have invited him! I'm sorry! That would have been a crazy day, though. Looked like he had a great birthday!

Connie said...

By the way, send me your e-mail address and I'll invite you to my blog! Connie.Tiare@gmail.com

Lindsay said...

I am so sad I missed that day! I am a bad aunt!